Baelz-Hydrodynamic® Water Ejectors
In light of rising energy costs, saving electrical energy through energy-efficient equipment and installations has become increasingly important. Where heating water would usually be distributed to secondary circuits using a control valve and a pump for each circuit, Baelz uses controlled ejector technology. This equipment offers long-term energy and cost savings in heating and ventilation systems. Many of our systems have been in operation for over 30 years.
Applications of Water Ejectors
Water ejectors can serve as a replacement for any water control valves as long as the main pump generates a sufficient amount of differential pressure. By switching out water control valves with water ejectors, industry professionals can decrease operational and maintenance costs while increasing energy efficiency. While the initial investment may be high, it can lead to more than 15% savings over time.
Some examples of typical applications for these energy-saving pieces of equipment include:
- Cooling of Thermal Fluid (hot oil cooling) within the wood industry
- Research and development operations in the educational sector
- Heating, hot water, and ventilation operations in the building utilities sector
- Pumping and mixing operations in the pneumatic conveyance sector
How Do Water Ejectors Work?
Water ejectors perform four main functions:
- Temperature control
- Flow-variable recirculation
- Differential pressure control
- Unwanted circulation prevention
The water ejector relies on five major components to complete the above functions:
- Motive chest. The motive chest allows high-pressure fluid to be introduced into the system.
- Suction chamber. The suction chamber contains the appropriate connections for the suction inlet, diffuser, and motive nozzle.
- Motive nozzle. The motive nozzle converts the pressure energy to velocity and directs motive media flow into the diffuser.
- Diffuser. The diffuser consists of three sections—the converging inlet diffuser, the throat, and the diverging outlet diffuser. In the inlet diffuser, the mixing of motive and load fluids is completed, and the conversion of velocity to pressure is started. The throat section serves as a connection between the converging inlet diffuser section and the diverging outlet diffuser section. In the outlet diffuser, the conversion of velocity to pressure is completed.
- Actuator. The actuator controls the operation of ejector. Baelz ejectors come with pneumatic and electric actuator options.
As motive fluid flows through the converging-diverging nozzle, adiabatic expansion from the motive fluid supply pressure to the suction load pressure occurs. This process converts the motive fluid’s pressure energy (i.e., potential energy) into velocity (i.e., kinetic energy), which can then be used to draw in and discharge other fluids effectively and efficiently in single pump applications that generate a sufficient amount of differential pressure.
Advantages of Water Ejectors at a Glance
Water ejectors are an ideal solution for pumping applications for a number of reasons:
- Better load stability/control. They offer controllability across the entire load range, providing precise and accurate water distribution over dozens of circuits.
- Greater energy efficiency. They ensure efficient flow of energy through heat transfer fluids and, because of Bernoulli’s equation and the venturi principle, conservation of the kinetic energy of water (unlike typical three-way valves). Energy efficiency can be improved further by using the right control equipment.
- Lower energy and maintenance costs. They allow systems to rely on a single pump to distribute fluids, reducing the total amount of energy directed towards pumping operations. By serving as a single-component replacement for multiple circulation pumps, they reduce the amount of time and money spent on equipment installation and maintenance over time.
Water Ejectors From Baelz North America
At Baelz NA, we are a premier supplier of high-quality controllable ejectors designed for durability and dependability. All of our products are available at competitive prices and with short lead times. To learn more about our products, download our datasheets. To discuss your requirements with one of our experts, contact us today.